Rats Chewing up your Place?
1. Rat Facts
- Social scavengers which eat anything.
- Communicate by inaudible sounds.
- Teeth are harder than steel.
- Eat their own faeces.
- Reproduce even at 2 months old.
- Spread diseases such as the plague and the flu-like hanvavirus through contaminated dust, rats’ excrement, and bite wounds.
- Can cause extensive damage to properties by gnawing on wood and wiring (which can cause fires).
*Hantavirus and *plagues
2. Where they are Found?
- Dark corners, including:
under or on top cabinets and shelves, behind piping, Even inside the roof void and underground.
3. When they Appear?
- All year round.
- Usually at night.
- Newer breeds can also come out during the day and have no fear of people.
4. Basic How-to (ERDM)
- Exclusion- prevent rats from setting foot by having NO food lying around and throw away thrash promptly.
- Restriction- Reduce the presence of dark and inaccessible corners and areas by having good proofing measures.
- Destruction– Use bait and pesticides. Cats are deterrents to rats too.
- Monitoring- Periodic inspection and housekeeping on furniture, flooring and the surroundings, including the greens.
- Presence of dead or living rats is the most obvious sign of rat infestation.
- Dirty and oily marks or stains on walls and flooring, and visible tracks.
- Round the large bites or damages found on wood and plastic materials and furniture.
- presence of rats’ droppings.