ANATOMY of a Business Blog post
General Blogging principles:
- Know who your audience is and write to them.
- Your goals is to get clicked on. make your tittles magnetic and captivating.
- Write for people first, search engines second.
- Get to the point.
- Use plain language.
- Write in a conversational, yet professional style.
- Let your post sit for a while before you publish it. When you come back to it, read it out loud and edit ruthlessly.
The 4 U’s of Business Blogging:
- Be useful to the reader
- Provide a sense of urgency
- Convey the main idea as unique
- Do all of the above in an ultra specific way
1. Tittle Tag
- The tittle tag is the blue link on search engines, so make it enticing.
- Its how search engines identify your content, include important keywords.
- Make it neutral, compelling and under 75 characters
- Include important keywords in the URL
- you can customize the URL within your blogging software
3. Blog Post Tittle
- The tittle a promise to your reader.
- Be sure what you writes is exactly what you published in the tittle.
- Include important keyword
4. Sharing Button:
- Sharing can greatly amplify your content
- Put social media sharing buttons near the top.
- Email is still very popular way to share. Be sure to include this as an option
- Relevant, interesting and informative images make image a huge difference in the reading experience
- Include important keywords in the file name and ALT text tags
- Give credits to the image creator.
7. Short Paragraphs
- Make the first few paragraphs short and scannable.
- Long paragraphs at the beginning are a sure fire way to discourage people from reading
8. External Links
- Link out to other web pages for more in-depth information
- Use anchor text instead of “click here”. It provides content to your reader.
9. Key Point
- Make sure the key point focuses on the benefits to the reader.
- Keep it concise and highlighted on its own line
- If it sounds natural use keywords.
10. Internal Links
- Links to a page inside your domain, like a product or service page that solves the issue highlighted in the post
- Use anchor text instead of “click here.” This improves SEO.
- Video adds richness and emotional appeal.
- Find relevant video on YouTube and embed it. Give credit to its creator.
- Put in rich snippets around the video to improve click-through rate.
12. Tittles & Sub-tittles
- Allows readers to scan.
- It’s OK to have several tittles and sub-tittles.
- Format them in HTML as H1,H@, etc
- important for SEO, use keywords.
13. Like & +1 Buttons
- Include these buttons on your post.
- These give further engagement value within social media
14. Call to Action
- Always include a call to action graphic that directs the reader to do something
- Links to a landing page that converts the reader into a lead.
15. Meta Description
- Search engines use this as the descriptive text under the blue link.
- It’s no longer used for ranking or relevancy.
- Make it a concise 150 character summary that sells the post