7 Important Points to Consider After Purchasing a Dedicated Server
1. Security Policies
- Set host and IP based restriction for the SSH, WHM and plesk panel logins
- Configure password strength and expiration policy
- Disable vulnerable PHP and system functions.
- Firewall, Malware and antivirus tweaking as per your application requirement.
- Prevent users from overriding PHM config values in the php.ini and htaccess files
2. NameServers & Hostname
- Server should have valid FQDN hostname with appropriate RDNS [PTR] record.
- Correct hostname helps maintain IP address reputation
3. Backup and Recovery
- Schedule timely backups.
- Backup data and system config files both
- Retain daily, Weekly and monthly replications with full system image.
4. Email Server and IP Address Reputation
- Configure the Email Server as per your needs.
- Have a Reverse DNS entry.
- Enable SMTP Authentication.
- Publish as SPF record, sign with DKIM or DomainKeys.
- Make sure that your server is not on any of RBL listing.
- Allow users to Opt-out and Unsubscribe.
5. Periodic Software Updates, Upgrades and Patches
- Turn On the automatic update/upgrades wherever possible.
- Patch Critical Updates on time.
- Always have latest versions of PHP, MySQL and Apache.
6. Maintain and Service Status Updates to Customers
- Notify clients in advance about the maintenance schedule
- Schedule such events to weekend or midnight.
- Host a service update portal remotely.
7. CPU and Memory Resources Management and Optimization.
- Adjust the LAMP according to your requirements
- Use the README or Manual page of application for best configuration.
- Make sure the server environment is compatible for the application or CMS you run