Marijuana comes from the plant Cannabis Sativa. A key ingredient in marijuana is Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which gives it a powerful high when smoked or ingested. Street names for marijuana include pakalolo, pot, weed, Mary Jane and grass
Health Risks of Marijuana
- Increased risk for asthma, bronchitis and emphysema
- Reduces ability to learn and retain information
- interferes with brain function
- Reduces resistance to common illness
- Increases heart rate, anxiety and panic attacks
- Increased risk of a heart attack.
Indicators of Marijuana Use
- Eating binges
- Bloodshot/glassy eyes
- Incense or breath mints to hide odor
- Giggly and silly for no reason
- Burnt fingertips
Marijuana in the US & Hawaii
- In 2014, more than 22.2 million people in the U.S. have reported using marijuana in the past month, making it the most used illicit drug.
- Marijuana was the primary substance used at the time of admission for the majority of adolescents (62.4%) in 2012
- 10.4% of Hawaii high school students have tried marijuana for the first time before 13. 18.5% have used marijuana in the past 30 days and 7.5% have used marijuana on school property in the past 30 days.
- Use or distribution of marijuana is a crime under both Hawaii and U.S. law.
- Recreational marijuana is illegal in the states of Hawaii.
- Medical marijuana is legal for persons with qualifying illness such as terminal cancers. Persons seeking medical marijuana must obtain a doctor’s recommendation and register with the State Department of Public Safety to avoid criminal prosecution under state law.
- Marijuana is federally illegal in the United States. Federal law trumps state law.
10 Most Common Health Side Effects Of Using Marijuana
Marijuana is commonly Known as chronic, pot or hash and is consumed either by eating, smoking or by soaking it in tea. Whether the human body is exposed to this plant in small or large quantities, side effects are a sure fall out. effects of using marijuana vary from the simple increase in appetite to much graver threats like lung cancer. Let us explore what marijuana is capable of doing to the human body.
The Side Effects Of Marijuana Are:
- Effects On The Regulatory System In The Brain:
The drug affects the chemical balance in the regulatory system and the pleasure center of the brain. This imbalance in turn makes adaptation to changes slower and starts affecting things like memory and learning ability.
This symptoms is a vicious cycle as the person soon finds him or herself using the drug to get rid of the depression that has been caused by the drug in the first place.
- Withdrawal And Obsessiveness:
Marijuana users also suffer from severe withdraw symptoms when the drug is not accessible to them. They often have cravings that are uncontrollable and these can lead to results that are damaging .
- Physical Problems:
Constant use of the drug increase the breathing, heart and blood rate thus leading to taxing of the body. This in turn leads to the speeding up of the aging and hence increase the risks of cancer of the lungs, strokes and heart attacks.
- Effect On Male Hormonal System:
In Men it increase the level of testosterone. This could sometimes lead to the enlarging of breasts
- Effects On The Female Hormonal System:
Marijuana has the opposite effect on the female hormonal system. If it decreases the testosterone levels in men then it increases it in women. This leads to irregular menstrual cycles
- Reproduction In Men And Marijuana Abuse:
Marijuana also has an adverse effect on sperm in a man. Usage of this drug lead to a low sperm count and an increase in the number of immature and abnormal sperm that is produced. Today, marijuana is one of the main cause of infertility in males
- Reproduction In Women And Marijuana Abuse:
Marijuana can also play havoc with the female reproductive system. Besides irregular menstrual cycle it also hinders ovulation.
- Effect of Marijuana On Pregnancy:
When pregnant women use marijuana, they are at risk of having unhealthy babies
- Other Common Side Effects:
Amongst other effects that are community experienced due to marijuana abuse are anxiety, irritability, anger, violent outburst, insomnia, red eyes, dry mouth and even outbursts that are violent.
10 Major Health Benefits of Marijuana
- Treats Migraines
Doctors in CA report that they have been able to treat over 300, 000 cases of migraines with medical marijuana.
- Prevent Alzheimer’s
THC found marijuana works to prevent Alzheimer’s by blocking the deposits in the deposits in the brain that cause the disease,
- Slows Tumor Growth
The American Association for Cancer Research has found marijuana works to slow tumor growth in lungs, breasts and the brain
- Relieve Symptoms Of Chronic Disease
Research shows marijuana can help relieve nausea associated with irritable Bowel Disease and Crohn’s.
- Treat Glaucoma
The use of marijuana has been shown to reduce intraocular eye pressure in glaucoma patients
- Prevents Seizures
Marijuana is a muscle relaxant and contains “antispamodic” qualities which have shown to be very effective in the treatment of seizures.
- Helps Those With ADD & ADHD
Marijuana is not only a perfect alternative for Ritalin, it treats the disorder without the negative side effects of the pharmaceutical.
- Treating Multiple Sclerosis
Works to stop neurological symptoms and muscle spasms cause by multiple sclerosis by protecting nerves from damage caused by the disease
- Calms Those With Tourette’s And OCD
Marijuana slows down the tic’s in patients with Tourette’s and relives the obsessive neurological symptoms in patients with OCD
- Helps Relieve PMS
Anectodal evidence shows that marijuana may relieve pain in severe cases pf PMS