Natural Pest Control Remedies
Ever get annoying pests like ants, cockroaches or mosquitoes? Try these natural remedies for pest control instead of toxic chemicals.
The first step is to make sure you do not have any food or crumbs sitting out that may attract ants. If they persist, try some of the listed below:
- Set cucumber peels or slices by the ants’ point of entry. Ants have a natural aversion to cucumber.
- Set dry, crushed mint leaves or cloves or mint tea bags by the areas with the most ants.
- Set a line of cayenne pepper, citrus oil, lemon juice, cinnamon or coffee grounds by the ants’ point of entry.
Make sure your bathroom and kitchen areas are always clean. If you find cockroaches, wash the area with soap and vacuum. Try these natural cockroach defense techniques if the problem persists;
- Set bay leaves, cucumber slices, or garlic in areas where cockroaches are active.
- Catnip is a natural repellent to cockroaches. Set small bags of catnip in areas where cockroaches are active.
- Add a small amount of water to catnip and spray on baseboards and behind counters.
- Do not use catnip if you have a cat in your home.
With summer coming, mosquitoes are becoming more active and are therefore more likely to somehow get inside your home and gather around outside. To get rid of mosquitoes seal their point of entry. Try these methods to repel pesky mosquitoes:
- Marigold flowers give a fragrance that bugs do not like, so plant them around your home to ward of mosquitoes.
- Mix a little bit of garlic juice in water in a spray bottle. Shake well and spray on your body for natural repellent.
- You can also soak strips of cotton cloth in this mixture and hang in areas where mosquitoes are active.
- If you have a grill, put sage or rosemary on the coals