10 Mind Hacks to make you a Better Learner
Whether you’re hitting the books for school or just working on your memorization skills, here are 10 ways to get information to stick and stay stuck
1. Make it Weird
It’s human nature to recognize the unusual in our environment. It’s part of our survival instinct. Try making a bizarre mental image of a fact or making an abnormal gesture when you think of it. Weird works.
Our attention to information that stands out in our surroundings is called evolutionary survival advantage.
2. Stimulate Multiple Senses
Your brain remembers facts more easily when it is taken in by multiple senses. Try to taste, touch AND smell something to help you remember a lot of info.
3. Teach it
Teaching something else not only shows that you know the topic inside and out, but that you explain it in a simple, understandable way.
70% is the Percentage of what students remember when they teach their peers
4. Use Patterns
From numbers and shapes to rhythms: brains love patterns. Making up a song or perhaps creating an acronym or rhyme for your information will make it stick.
5. Mold it into Many Formats
Taking in information in multiple forms can help you remember it more easily. Instead of just reading, try finding topics in video or art form, or perhaps as an audiobook.
6. Humanize it
Information that touches our emotions always sticks to us. Empathy is the strongest foundation for memory that we posses. Try reading a case study or story involving your fact. You’ll connect to it in a much more human way.
The amygdala is the part of the brain responsible for emotional memory and, unfortunately most active during negative events.
7. Start with what’s Familiar
No matter what you’re learning, everything can be linked to old knowledge. You may have to dig, but try to connect the new info with everyday knowledge you already possess.
8. Divide and Conquer
Our brain possesses information more easily in small chunks. No matter how many hacks you use, dumping everything on your brain at once will lead to gaps. Space out your reading, and try to organize projects or facts into groups of three
The number of informational items a brain can handle in its short term memory is 7. This is why phone numbers are typically 7 digits long!
9. Act it out
Just like teaching and unusual body movements help you retain information more easily, so does getting a little dramatic. This works especially well for trying to remember history lessons
90% is the percentage of what students remember when they engage in hands-on learning
10. Seal it with Some Sleep
Long-term memory is created while you are resting. So while you shouldn’t try to cram if you’re tired, sleeping after studying may actually benefit you. Just make sure you’ve been as alert and awake as possible while learning!
The hippocampus is the part of our brains responsible for converting short-term memories into long-term memories
How to ACE an Interview
Job interviews aren’t fun for anyone. Everyone feels the same sense of delight when you find out an employer wants you to come in for an interview, but soon the nerves kicks in.
We’ve created a fact sheet of tips to help you ace that interview
Know your Facts
Do your research! Before stepping foot in the interview room, you must first learn more about the company. Use the resource that you have such as search engines, their website, news outlets, social medias and inside knowledge.
Know the Job
Although you may think that you know all about the job you have applied for don’t let that stop you from learning more about it. An interviewer is going to ask you why you want that job.
Make a Good First Impression
First impressions last! If you do not make the right one you are less likely to get the job. Make sure to smile and be yourself. If you try too hard and are not yourself, an interviewer will be able to see it.
Be Confident But not Cocky
It may seem hard to do this but you need to get the balance right. Be confident and be aware of your strengths. Although an interview is a chance to really sell yourself, it’s also important to acknowledge your weaknesses and to know how you deal with them.
Look the Part
Looks aren’t everything, but first impressions are! Being presentable is key, if an employer thinks you look smart they are going to get that professional opinion of you. Not only this but you also have to carry yourself in a professional manner. So essentially this means no hoodies and no slouching!
Plan the Day Before
Be prepared, you need to make sure you are ready! There is no use trying to cram in a load of research in the morning – you need the day before to prepare yourself so you are calm the morning of your interview.
Engage with the Interviewers
Eye contact, handshakes, head nods – just a few of the things you can do during your interview that will make your interviewers feel like it is a two-way conversation and not just them questioning you. If you can engage well with an interviewer they will feel a stronger connection with you rather than someone who answers abruptly and waits for the next question.
6 Reasons to Love IBM Verse
VERSE Helps me Focus
- By helping me focus on my key contacts
- By helping me keep track of what i owe to others
- By reminding me of what i am waiting for
- By allowing at a single click to dispose of read email
- Through its optimized screen size on small screens and windows
VERSE Works for me
- By identifying my frequent contacts from my recent activities
- By introducing me to people through relationship maps and business cards (team analytics)
- By building a smart type-ahead addressing for my use
- By reminding me of due items
- By providing me a visual on my calendar at all times so i can join meetings in a snap
- By freeing me from having to file or archive mail
VERSE Helps me Find Things
- By grouping my email threads together, so the entire discussion is in one spot
- Through its easy to use and fast search capability
- By flagging to my attention outstanding mail from my important contacts
- By letting me view mail through a wide variety of criteria like time, senders…
- By allowing me to view my email calendar together
VERSE Lets me Act Rapidly
- It’s easy to tame my inbox with one click that triages my email
- It’s easy to share mail to a social platform
- It lets me preview quickly a file in context
- It allows me to attach files easily from many containers
- It gives me a tour of new features so i can be an early adopter
VERSE Simplifies my Life
- By allowing me to compose an email in a new window while i read and compose other email
- By allowing me to adopt the messages list view to my taste for more or less message header information
- By allowing me to resize the width of my message
- By providing me with an intuitive rich test editor
- By autosaving as i work and saving my drafts with one click
VERSE Keeps me Connected
- By making it easy to share messages in a blog
- By making it easy to share or link to files with internal and external users(Box)
- By notifying me of new mail or calendar events on my mobile device
- By allowing me to work my mail or calendar when i’m disconnected
- By conveniently providing contact information and allowing interaction with my peers directly from their business card
5 Best Screencast Tools that are Totally Free
- Optimizes disk space
- Mobile version
- Editing: Clipping, merging, dubbing, and adding subtitles
- Trial time
- Cannot modify definition setting
- No time limit & watermark
- Export: MP4, FLY, AVI, WMV, WebM & MKV
- Editing: Cut, Crop, Join, Change Volume, Speed up, Slow Down, Blur Add subtitle /annotations.
- No direct online publishing
- Direct export to social media sites
- Export: MP4, FLY, AVI, WMV & MKV
- Editing features: Add annotations
- 5 minute limit time
- Storage constraint 2GB
- Ads/promotion banner
- Lack editing features
- Export to multiple formats including GIF
- Limited trial time
- For Macbook users only
5. iSpring Freecam
- No time limit & watermark
- Simple to use
- Editing features: Cut, Trim, Remove noise, Adjust Volume
- No webcam recording
- Save as WMV format only
8 Interesting Facts About Tires
Interesting Facts About Tires
1. Early cars used “artillery wheels” that had the tire bolted to the wheel. Have fun changing that flat
2. For the first 25 years of the car, all tires were white. Zinc oxide was added to the rubber for strength, but had a side effect of making bright white tires.
3. By the second decade of the 21st Century, researchers were looking for more ways to increase durability. Carbon black, waste product of the petroleum industry, added longevity to the tire, but changed the color to black.
4. Originally, the whitewall tires was invented when a carbon black tread was melded with a zinc white sidewall. The result was the world’s first whitewall tire, made by Vogue Tyres of Chicago, in 1914.
5. Whitewalls were originally on both sidewalls. The cars had open fenders, and pedestrians could see both sides of the tires as a car drove by.
6. The natural color of rubber is white, not black. Manufacturers of tires add carbon black to rubber to increase various qualities that prolong the life of the tire.
7. The World’s Largest Tire is in Allen Park, Michigan. The tire is a 12-ton, 80-foot-tall tower to withstand hurricane-force winds. It served as a Ferris wheel at the 1964-1965 New York’s World Fair.
8. In 1961, Goodyear experimented with an illuminated tire. Lit from the inside by glass incandescent bulbs, the softly glowing white tires never left the show circute
8 Interesting Facts About TiresIntersting Facts About Tires
By this age most babies should have consolidated their napping into three relatively regular naps per day. Watch that the afternoon nap isn’t too long or it’ll be affecting bedtime settling!
Babies around this age lose the late afternoon nap, leaving two other naps in place. If your baby is having a longer morning nap followed by a shorter nap later on in the day it can be a very tricky transition and your baby can be very overtired come bedtime.
This is the hardest transition period as your baby drops to one nap. This is far more difficult if your baby is used to having a longer morning nap and can cause a period of regression in your baby’s sleep.
Between the age of 2.5 – 3 years children drop their daytime nap altogether. This transition is managed by whittling down your toddler’s nap until it’s gone or even offering a nap every second day.
Become A New You
10 Tips on How to Start Fresh
1. Try New Things
Do the same old routine and you will get the same old results. If you want a new beginning, then step out of your comfort zone and try new things
2. Tell your Confidants
It is motivating to tell the people close to you that you are embarking on a journey. It will also add another layer of accountability.
3. Don’t Fear Failure
The fear of failure can be paralyzing. If you want to start fresh, then you will have to face your fears head on. Don’t think of failure as a negative, think of it as a lesson.
4. Reach Out
If you want things to be different, then you may need to reach out beyond your current network. Open yourself up to new opportunities by reaching out to new people.
5. Clean Out Clutter
A cluttered space is a cluttered mind. If you want a new beginning you will need a clear mind. Take some time to clear the clutter from your surroundings so you can focus on your new start.
6. Take Care of your Body
Do not take your physical well being for granted. Eating well, exercising and mindful activities like yoga or meditation can help both your body and mind prepare for a new start.
It is time to let go of any grudges you may be holding. There is nothing to gain from holding an old grudge. Prepare for the new you by letting go of your past.
8. Write it Down
There is power in the written word. Take the time to write yourself a new personal mission statement as well as your immediate goals.
9. Picture the New you
Visualize the new you! Take the time to create a mental image of what the new you will be like. Focus on this as often as possible.
It is easy to get stuck in a rut. Reexamine your daily activities and prioritize them based on the new you!
9 Digital Marketing Certification you can Get in 2017
Hubspot Digital marketing Certification
- Considered to be one of the best and must for digital marketers
- Focuses on how to attract customers well constructed module that links marketing based on content, digital as well as sales
- Duration of the course is 4.5 HRS
- Certificate will be valid for 25 months
Hubspot Email Marketing Certification
- Mainly focus on life cycle marketing, segmentation, email design, analytics, optimization etc.
- Relatively a new addition to the array of certification course available
- Duration of the course is 3.5 HOURS
- Certificate will be valid for 25 months
Hubspot Content Marketing Certification
- Focus on content marketing strategies as well as content analysis and optimization
- Duration of the course is 3.5 hrs
- Certificate will be valid for 13 months
- Consists of 6 modules
- Need to pass at least 2 exams to become an Adwords certified professional
- Exams include ADWORDS fundamental exam (mandatory) and one from advertising topics on search, display, video, shopping and mobile
- You have to learn via study guide instead of video
- Certification will be valid for 12 months
Google Mobile Site Certification Exams
- Will make you understand how to optimize your website for mobile access
- Provided with a study guide for exam preparation
- Consists of 4 modules, Digital Analytics Fundamentals, Google Analytics platform principles, E-commerce Analytics, Mobile App Analytics Fundamentals.
- Certificate will be valid for 12 months
- Modules based on bing ranking factors
- Not in video format instead of that 109 pager study guide
- Learn about Bing Ad budgeting and billing
- Detailed lessons on Bing Ads intelligence
- Certificate will be valid for a year
Facebook Blueprint Certification
- 86 Modules
- Learn how to plan a Facebook campaign and its optimization
- Certificate will be valid for 12 months
Twitter Flight School Certification
- Offered in 10 – 15 small sized modules
- Will learn about campaign management as well as its optiomization
- Know about different agency in Twitter and their function
- No expiry date
YouTube Certification for Video Marketing
- Consists of 29 modules
- helps to develop an intelligent video strategy
- Will only be eligible if your YouTube channel view crosses certain limit
- Certification will be valid for 18 months
The Benefits of Affiliate Marketing
What is it?
Performance-Based marketing in which you reward people for sending you customers.
Affiliate marketing is performance based. This means you ONLY pay a commission when a specific action is taken. Specific action can include opting into your mailing list, or actually buying your offer! This means NO payment without results!
2. Easy Tracking
No matter what affiliate program solution you choose, they all include easy ways to track where your sales are coming from. You will know which affiliates are sending sales, as well as other helpful info like: click through rates, site views, etc…
When you have an affiliate program, your affiliates will use a wide variety of techniques to drive traffic to your offer. This means you can take full advantage of all the online marketing tactics (SEO, Social Networking, Blogging and Email marketing) without doing all the heavy lifting.
Affiliate marketing is a massive industry all on it’s own. Forrester projected affiliate sales to top $4 billion in 2014. They also project an annual compound growth rate of about 16%!
5. Time & Energy
Compared to traditional online marketing tactics (i.e. SEO, content marketing, paid ads) affiliate marketing takes much less effort. Most of the work is setting u your affiliate program. Once that is done, you leave most of the heavy lifting to your affiliates.
The 3 Phases in the Life of a Digital Marketer
The Age of Innocence
- 40% intend to keep their job for another 5 years
- 46% have no budget for social media but expect that to change in the coming year
- 39% care most about how many people visit their website
- 14% have no plans to invest in social
The Age of Disillusionment
- 36% are unlikely to stay in their current job for over 5 years
- They are allotted up to 25% of total marketing budget on social media
- 40% value website traffic & content virality
- Creating good content is key
Age of Enlightenment
- 43% love their job and wouldn’t trade it for anything else in the world
- 12% Still have no budget for social media and do not plan to invest in social media this year
- ROI is in the top 3 metrics for success
- 38% measure their performance with content virality